M. Joseph Sirgy
Teaching interests include consumer behavior, marketing communications, international marketing, real estate marketing, marketing research, startegic marketing, and marketing and society.
Quality‐of‐life studies: This broad research program involves the development of theoretical concepts, methods and measures related to subjective well being, consumer well being, employee well being, community well-being, neighborhood well being, housing well being, traveler/tourist well being, elderly well being, Internet well being, patient well being, transportation well being, among others.
Consumer self‐concept: This research program involves the development of theoretical models of self‐image congruence and measures that are effective in predicting a variety of consumer behavior phenomena (e.g.,brand perception, brand preference, brand choice, brand purchase, customer satisfaction, customer loyalty, and customer well‐being).
Business ethics: One research program involves the development of codes of ethics for schools of business and its professional disciplines of marketing, management, accounting, finance, etc. A second research program involves the development of the concept of quality‐of‐life marketing as a business philosophy. A third research program involves corporate performance measurement and corporate social responsibility.
Dr. M. Joseph (Joe) Sirgy is a management psychologist (Ph.D., U/Massachusetts, 1979) and the Virginia Tech Real Estate Professor of Marketing at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (Virginia Tech). He has published extensively in the area of marketing, business ethics, and quality of life (QOL). He is the author/editor of many books related to consumer marketing and quality of life. He co-founded the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies (ISQOLS) in 1995, served as its Executive Director/Treasurer from 1995 to 2011, and as Development Co-Director (2011-17). In 1998, he received the Distinguished Fellow Award from ISQOLS. In 2003, ISQOLS honored him as the Distinguished QOL Researcher for research excellence and a record of lifetime achievement in QOL research. He also served as President of the Academy of Marketing Science from which he received the Distinguished Fellow Award in the early 1990’s and the Harold Berkman Service Award in 2007 (lifetime achievement award for serving the marketing professoriate). In the early 2000’s, he helped co-found the Macromarketing Society and the Community Indicators Consortium and has served as a board member of these two professional associations. He co-founded the journal, Applied Research in Quality of Life, the official journal of the International Society for Quality-of-Life Studies, in 2005; and he has served as co-founding editor (1995-present). He also served editor of the QOL section in the Journal of Macromarketing (1995-2016). He received the Virginia Tech’s Pamplin Teaching Excellence Award/Holtzman Outstanding Educator Award and University Certificate of Teaching Excellence in 2008. In 2010, ISQOLS honored him for excellence and lifetime service to the society. In 2010 he won the Best Paper Award in the Journal of Happiness Studies for his theory of the balanced life; in 2011 also he won the Best Paper Award in the Journal of Travel Research for his goal theory of leisure travel satisfaction. In 2012 he was awarded the EuroMed Management Research Award for outstanding achievements and groundbreaking contributions to well-being and quality-of-life research. He also was the editor of ISQOLS/Springer book series on handbooks in QOL research, the community QOL indicators best practices, applied quality-of-life research best practices, and human well-being and policy-making. Among his recent books are:
- Estes, Richard J. and M. Joseph Sirgy (Eds.) (2017). The Pursuit of Well-being: The Untold Global History. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.
- Sirgy, M. Joseph, Rhonda Phillips, and Don Rahtz (Eds.) (2013). Community Quality-of-Life Indicators: Best Cases VI. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.
- Sirgy, M. Joseph (2012). The Psychology of Quality of Life: Hedonic Well-Being, Life Satisfaction, and Eudaimonia. 2nd edition. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.
- Reilly, Nora P., M. Joseph Sirgy, and C. Allen Gorman (Eds.) (2012). Work and Quality of Life: Ethical Practices in Organizations. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.
- Uysal, Muzaffer, Richard Perdue, and M. Joseph Sirgy (Eds.) (2012). Handbook of Tourism and Quality-of-Life Research: Enhancing the Lives of Tourists and Residents. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.
- Land, Kenneth C., Alex C. Michalos, and M. Joseph Sirgy (Eds.) (2012). Handbook of Social Indicators and Quality-of-Life Research. Dordrecht, Netherlands: Springer Publishers.