Associate Professor of Practice
Marketing Communications, Advertising & Social Media
Social Media,Data Analysis,Community Management, Marketing and Real World Applications
Market Research Versus Brand Research
Bloomberg Business Week-2012 Best Professor
Faculty Advisor-Prism (Pamplin Reinventing Social Media)
Donna C. Wertalik, M.S. is the Director of Marketing for the Pamplin College of Business and serves as an Associate Professor of Practice in the Marketing Department at Virginia Tech.
Donna is an innovative, achievement-oriented senior manager with diverse corporate and academic experience, training, and acquired skills in the identification of marketing opportunities, brand management, social media engagement and measurement as well as overall product development. Her background and experience emphasize her commitment to bottom-line profitability and market-share growth through strategic brand positioning.
Her role encompasses branding, marketing and metrics for the business school, as well as leading the strategic efforts of Pamplin’s Virtual Identity through Virginia Tech’s Social Media Organization, Prism.
Donna has taught in all areas of marketing, including Undergraduate, Graduate and PhD Bridge Programs. She holds a bachelor of science in marketing from Fairleigh Dickinson University, as well as a Master’s of Science in Marketing and a Graduate Certification in Social Media and Data Analysis from Southern New Hampshire University. Donna has more than 22 years of industry experience and has worked for organizations such as Nestle Corporation, Schering Plough and Glaxo Smith-Kline, as well as key advertising firms such Ogilvy, CommonHealth, and Pace, Inc., a division of McCann.
She continues to consult through her firm Speak Marketing, which allows her to balance academia and industry to the fullest. Her speaking engagements include Dreamforce 2014, focused on digital transformation and Sales Connections, 2015, focused on a connected campus through social media. In addition, she has worked with Senator Mark Warner on two occasions focusing on entrepreneurial efforts and women in business initiatives.
Donna received two National Telly awards, in 2009 and 2010 as well as recognition from the National Advertising Federation (Addy's) in 2006, 2007, 2008. In addition to this, she was Business Week 2012, Favorite Professor and Virginia Tech Favorite Faculty 2015.
Recently, she was awarded a 2016 Telly and a 2016 Gold MUSE International award, for her work with PRISM, VT’s official student social media organization, founded by Wertalik.
Based on her National and International Reputation, both corporations as well as Universities have approached Donna with a variety of opportunities, inclusive of reviewing textbooks and publications in the area of social media and digital initiatives, consulting and career opportunities, as well as many speaking engagements and leadership workshop requests.
- National Telly | 2009, 2010, 2016, 2017
- Addy | 2008
- VSMPR | 2008, 2009, 20010
- Faculty Advisor of the Year-Virginia Tech-University of Student Relations | 2011
- Appointed Key Note Speaker -Pamp li n College of Business Commencement | 2011
- Case iii Award-Marketing Website | 2012
- Bloomberg Business Week-Outstanding Professor | 2012
- Pi Sigma Epsilon-National Faculty Advisor of the Year | 2012
- "Market Research Versus Brand Research" | 2007
- "Selling to C-Suite Exec's" 11 Steps to College (quote) | 2010
- 2017's Best Frequent Flyer Program | 2017
- Social Media and Building a Connected College | 2017
- Upcoming August 2017 Release: Social Media Marketing, Case Studies
- Advertising Federation of the Roanoke Valley Montgomery Chamber of Commerce
- Pi Sigma Epsilon (Sales and Marketing) Business Fraternity Delta Phi Epsilon (Alumni)
- Fairleigh Dickinson (Alumni)
- Southern New Hampshire University (Alumni)
- Virtual LI-Marketing Advisor | 2014 - 2015
- Pi Sigma Epsilon-VP Educator | 2009 - 2015
- (540) 231-3096
- 3052 Pamplin (0236)
- B.S., Marketing Fairleigh Dickinson University
- M.S., Marketing, Southern New Hampshire University & Virginia Tech